Friday, June 3, 2011

A Promising Direction

Thoughts I am having about where to take my research:

After learning about many of the new techniques that are emerging for literary criticism in our digital age, I could not help but see connections found in Ender's Game. I found an article that turned out to be an essay book review of the book New Literacies: Changing Knowledge and Classroom Learning. I checked it out from the library and, while it is not specific to Ender's Game, I have been pleasantly surprised with the ideas it poses about informing people of the new literacy practices that are emerging from the digital age.

 The article focuses more on how "literacy educators can bridge the gap between New Literacy Studies (NLS) and what we characterize as the Institution of Old Learning." I did a little research and found that NLS emphasizes studying reading and writing within the context of it's social and cultural practices rather than focusing on literacy only being the ability to read and write. From what I gather, NLS is interested in employing ways of consuming literature (print, audio, video, etc.) because it allows more people to be exposed to the literature.

I want to tie the new things I am learning about NLS to Ender's Game and the importance of effective communication in the new age of digital literacy.

 I found a professor at Arizona State University, James Gee, who was involved in the idea of new literacies a few years ago. I want to email him to learn his opinion of the way our uses of digital literacy have evolved.

1 comment:

  1. James Gee is a very important source for discussions about literacy today. You might check out this free MIT eBook in which Gee discusses New Literacy Studies and digital literacy.

    ReplyDelete